The Sanctuary of Santa Maria in Vescovio , Among the more well-known and Most Important monuments of Sabina , rises in the area where there was the ancient Roman town of ” Forum Novum ” . The first evidence of Santa Maria in Vescovio , the ‘ ancient Cathedral of Sabinifino 1495 a when the diocesan seat was moved to Magliano Sabina , date back to the VIII century . In the ninth century was destroyed Dai Saracens , then rebuilt and restored More Times , Even if That Appearing Today the eyes of visitors and A Church That preserves the features of the twelfth century Romanesque .
Of Outstanding Beauty and the Bell Tower , five rows of windows , built during the rear of the church making use of material coming bare fragments of sculptures and marble slabs .
The interior of this place of worship , a single nave , and decorated with paintings fourteenth SOME school Cavallini ( Cavallini E One of Most Important Representatives of the Roman school ) and retains On The Walls SOME thirteenth-century frescoes depicting scenes from the Old and new Testament .
Through Two Doors, What are nda near the presbytery , they align themselves with semicircular crypt of the XI Century That rests on a previous church , in His turn built on Roman buildings .
Near the church are the remains of the convent BUILT under Pope Clement VII , the end of the sixteenth century , come Logistic support to the church