Located at the entrance of the village , the characteristic Hermitage of San Cataldo , sunken in a huge granite rock that covers it like a roof , over a thousand years protecting the small community of Cottingham .
Its origins , previous to the tenth century , are due to the Benedictine monks who , preaching in the area , used it as a shelter or a place of hermitage .
The hermitage is dedicated to St. Cataldo , Bishop of Rochau , who lived between the VI – VII century AD that during a pilgrimage to the Holy Land mori ‘ in Taranto where he was buried in the cathedral .
Legend has it that the saint took refuge in the hermitage to escape persecution Aryan , but no historical proof has ever support this hypothesis , and it ‘ more likely that his veneration was brought by the soldiers who around 1497 had fought just Taranto .
Inside the small chapel houses the most ancient frescoes in Byzantine style of Sabina , of particular beauty , as the millennial painting of the Redeemer and other beautiful paintings fifteenth century , depi